Saturday, October 10, 2009

Apple Picking

We have come to find that a common fall activity in the northeast is apple picking. We have had some friends tell us about it and I was dying to go. I finally convinced Jimmy it would be fun. We drove about an hour north through the beautiful countryside. All the leaves are fantastic shades of orange, red, and yellow. I forgot how wonderful the changes of seasons can be. We pulled up to Barton Orchards and there must have been 200 cars on the lot. It was packed with families. The orchard not only had apples but pumpkins, fruits, veggies, shops, and kiddie games and rides. It was quite a cool place. It was a perfect fall day and in the end we had a lot of fun.

On the hay ride taking us to the apple orchard

Jimmy searching for the perfect apple

Trying to reach those high branches

Climbing the trees is a big no no but Jimmy is such a rebel
(I had to keep a lookout)

Up and down the rows and rows of trees full of all different types of apples

I felt sad for all of the bad apples

Our 1/2 bushel of hand picked apples!

Jimmy's perfect apple

MMM! (ok so I only faked taking a bite)

I picked, I peeled, I sliced, I latticed, I baked, I conqured making an apple pie

completely from scratch.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

looks like a lot of fun! and that pie looks amazing!!

Hanna said...

Woah - go Kelli! The pie looks awesome. That is definitely a skill I have NOT mastered. I love it - and I love your little apartment too. I think its way cute.